The cost of Azimio’s maandamano
The cost of Azimio-led countrywide demonstrations is increasing with each passing day.
The protests entered day three on March 27, 2023, with Azimio leader Raila Odinga visiting Imara Daima and Mukuru slums.
Here are some prime properties that have been affected during the protests.
1. UDA Siaya office – A rowdy crowd o protesters on Thursday, March 30, 2023, torched offices belonging to the United Democratic Alliance (UDA) party in Karemo area, Siaya County. President William Ruto is UDA’s party leader.
The incident in Siaya occurred after demonstrators outnumbered police officers who had been deployed to protect the premises. In a video detailing the incident, youths are captured plotting iron sheets from the premises.
2. Kisumu UDA office – On March 20, 2023, the day Azimio nationwide protests officially commenced, UDA offices in Kisumu County were vandalized and set on fire. The protestors also burnt two vehicles.
UDA Secretary General Cleophas Malala said that the Orange Democratic Movement party should be held responsible for the destruction of the UDA office.
“As a party, we will write to the Registrar of political parties to ensure that ODM pays for the UDA offices’ destruction. They should know that a political party is not about structures but the people,” said Malala.
3. Kibra church and mosque burnt – On March 27, 2023, a mosque and church in Kibera slums, Nairobi was burnt down. Several other stalls near both the mosque and church were also razed. Traders lost properties worth millions in the fracas.
4. Kenyatta family farm raided and set on fire – In an unprecedented act, hundreds of people invaded a parcel of land associated with the family of former President Uhuru Kenyatta in Kamakis along the Eastern bypass, Nairobi, Monday. The unknown goons stole sheep, mowed down trees and set the farm on fire.
Police say they are still investigating the incident.
5. Raila’s gas firm – An unknown number of goons invaded Odinga’s gas firm (East Africa Spectre Limited). The goons are said to have arrived on motorbikes and stoned windows at the premises, leaving sizeable damage in their wake.