Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Three suffocate from jiko fumes in slum as cold weather sets in

By STELLA CHERONO February 11th, 2016 1 min read

Three people died in Mukuru Fuata Nyayo slums in what is suspected to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

The three are alleged to have inhaled carbon monoxide gas from a burning jiko as they slept.

Mr Josephat Nzau, a neighbour said the two women and a man were found dead on Wednesday night.

He said they decided to check on them after the noticed they had not come out of the house for two days.

“We found a pot filled with maize and beans on top of the jiko” Mr Nzau said.

He said the three were casual workers employed in South B Estate.

Makadara OCPD Nehemiah Langat said the bodies had no physical injuries.

The bodies were taken to the City Mortuary.

The incident comes just days after Mamy Runiga, the sister of the late gospel artiste Angela Chibalonza was found dead in her bathroom in Nyayo Estate, Embakasi.

Her house help said Ms Runiga had taken a jiko to the bathroom to boil some water and herbal medicine.