Nairobi News

Must ReadNews

Transport PS says all is well after SGR wall caves in

By HILARY KIMUYU November 20th, 2016 1 min read

Transport and Infrastructure Principle Secretary has given an assurance that the construction of the Standard Gauge Railway is on track after a section of it came down along Mombasa Road.

In a statement to media houses, PS Irungu Nyakera, said all was well after a section of the ongoing construction was washed away following heavy rains that have been pounding the country in the past week.

“The protection works is currently the main activity going on within SGR Mombasa to Nairobi. The rains came before everything was tied up and hence this is normal in any ongoing construction site,” he said.

He added that the contractor will fast track the process while giving an assurance that the integrity of the line is beyond question.


Kenya Railways Corporation tweeted on their handle saying that, the rains had affected the on going construction.

The Mombasa-Nairobi SGR is one of the biggest infrastructure project in Kenya since independence and it will shorten the passenger travel time from Mombasa to Nairobi from more than ten hours to a little more than four hours.

Construction of the 609km-long line began in October 2013 and is scheduled to be completed by December 2017.

The Mombasa-Nairobi phase of the project is estimated to cost Sh327bn. China Exim Bank has provided 90% of the financing while the remaining 10% has been funded by the Kenyan Government.