Nairobi News

HashtagMust Read

Two cops, teller in custody following daring Prime Bank robbery

By Hilary Kimuyu January 19th, 2021 2 min read

Two police officers and a bank teller were on Monday afternoon arrested after a daring daylight bank heist at Prime Bank’s Mombasa road branch.

The six robbers according to the police first disarmed two officers attached to the Administration Police’s Critical Infrastructure Police Unit (CIPU) Langata who were guarding the bank.

A three minute video clip captured by a witness in the Prime Bank building shows how the six men took strategic positions at the compound, one with a pistol at the gate, before they walked away with bags believed to have contained the cash.

A police statement described how the robbers entered Hypermat and Ramtons premises near City Cabanas/Kyangombe exchange at around 2.45pm.

“They confronted Corporal Mohammed Hassan and Corporal Eunice Syengo before disarming them of the Scorpion firearms with a total of 60 rounds of ammunition,” the statement read in part.

The Prime Bank Chief Security officer, Ephantus Mwaniki, said a bank’s lorry registration number KCR 219J Isuzu NKR was driven to the premises and parked at the compound.

One of the robbers was left guarding the gate and even kept opening it for motorists to go in and out of the building, moments later more men emerged carrying boxes believed to be containing stolen cash and escape in the same direction on foot.

All of them were dressed in white caps and green reflector jackets.

Two of them then escaped in a motorcycle whose registration number was not captured. Police said the other four escaped on foot to unknown destinations.

“The two are currently undergoing investigative interviewing to establish how they also lost two firearms with a total of 60 rounds of ammunition in the heist. Also assisting our officers with investigations is a cashier at the Mombasa road-based bank,” DCI said.

Hours later, the Scorpion firearms loaded with 60 firearms each were recovered outside Kiambu Hospital, where they were dropped by men on a motorbike.

During the incident, one of the security guards identified as Geoffrey Kipleting was slightly injured.