Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Seven officers ordered to testify in Uhuru’s stolen car case

Seven police officers have been ordered to testify in a case against five suspects accused of violently robbing a presidential guard of his official escort car three years ago.

Nairobi chief magistrate Francis Andayi issued the order after the court was told that the seven are not being reached on phone.

“Some of the police officers have switched off their cellphones yet they had been served with court summons,” prosecutor Celestine Oluoch told the magistrate.

Ms Oluoch said except for two officers who are sick – with one having had his leg amputated due to cancer and another admitted at Naivasha hospital – the rest had been informed and but have repeatedly failed to appear in court.

“The investigating officer has told me some of the officers from the elite Flying Squad who tracked down the presidential escort car to Uganda have been transferred to other stations outside Nairobi,” submitted Ms Oluoch who also gave out the names of the officers.

The magistrate ordered that the said officers appear in court when the hearing of the case resumes on June 19, 2017.


Mr Andayi made the order in a case where a Nakuru-based mechanic Nelson Topicho Mulati, Aggrey Odhiambo Ochieng, Robert Mande Ochan, Andrew Young Otieno and Godfrey Ouma have denied robbing a presidential guard David Maina Machui his official car with civilian registration KAW 479Y/GK 374E make BMW valued at Sh1.2million.

The car was later recovered in Uganda.

The five have also been accused of robbing a World Health Organization (WHO) employee his vehicle at Utawala Embakasi Nairobi County.

The WHO employee, Alex Kanyi Kimani was ambushed by armed robbers while waiting for his wife to open the gate at their Utawala residence in Embakasi Nairobi County on August 26, 2014.

Mr Kimani was stripped naked and dumped at Kamulu by the robbers who made away with the vehicle, a Toyota KBR 870Y, which was later recovered in Nakuru.

All the five accused persons have denied the charges. The hearing of the case resumes on June 19, 2017.