Waititu cold be off the hook in incitement case
Former Embakasi MP Ferdinand Waititu has entered into an agreement with complainants in a case in which he had been charged with incitement to violence, a court has been told.
National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) told the court that the agreement between the parties had been reached in order to put the matter to rest.
Senior principal magistrate Lucy Mbugua heard that NCIC had written to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and were waiting for response.
Prosecuting counsel Moses Omirera confirmed receipt of the letter, saying it had been delivered on Wednesday.
Mr Omirera had told the court that one witness was present but a DVD they were to rely on was not in court, hence they could not proceed with the hearing.
“Had we received the DVD, we would have proceeded with the hearing,” Mr Omirera told the court.
Mr Waititu allegedly uttered words calculated to bring violence to members of the Maasai community living and working in Kayole. The former MP is also alleged to have uttered words calculated to stir ethnic hatred.
The offences were allegedly committed on September 24, 2012 in Kayole. Mr Waititu at a past news conference in the court precincts said he had apologised to the Maasai community.
During a previous mention, the prosecution said it was not opposed to Mr Waititu seeking an out-of-court settlement
Through lawyer Cliff Ombeta, the former MP said he had met the complainants and discussed the matter at length.
“They are in the process of resolving the issue, he has spoken to the members of the Maasai community and elders,” Mr Ombeta had previously told the court.