Nairobi News

LifeWhat's Hot

Woman forgives husband who attacked her with machete – PHOTOS

A woman admitted at the Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital following last weekend’s brutal machete attack by her husband now says she has forgiven him.

Lying in a hospital bed at the Nyangito Ward, Juliet Akinyi, 27, narrated the events that culminated in her being admitted at the hospital last Saturday.

“I met my husband Robert Mwanda for a drink at a club in Daraja Mbili area in Kisii town,” she says.

“He had travelled to Kisii earlier from his Awendo base. When I arrived, he was in a jovial mood. As we enjoyed drinks at the club, nothing about him seemed to suggest that he would later turn violent,” she adds.



Ms Akinyi, a dressmaker based in Ndhiwa, Migori County, says as they enjoyed their night out, she noticed that her husband had already done some shopping, which included a sharp machete and a knife.

“I saw the machete and knife but when I asked him about them, he told me that they were for normal duties at our rural Ndhiwa home. I was satisfied with his answer,” he says.

She told Nairobi News that they were in high spirits when they eventually retired to bed in one of the club’s lodging rooms at around 11:30pm that night.

Things were to later turn violent when her husband woke her up at around 2:30 a.m.

“He accused me of using the funeral of a colleague’s mother as an excuse for infidelity,” she said.

Her angry spouse then unleashed his fury.

“All my attempts to plead my innocence fell on deaf ears as he pulled the machete from the shopping bags and viciously slashed me on the shoulder,” she said.


Her husband, who fled the scene later, attempted to commit suicide by swallowing a pesticide known as organophosphate.

Juliet Akinyi with her relatives at the Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital on August 11, 2016. PHOTO | AGGRYE OMBOKI
Juliet Akinyi with her relatives at the Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital on August 11, 2016. PHOTO | AGGRYE OMBOKI

He later slit his throat and threw himself before an oncoming lorry. The driver, however, managed to hit the brakes to avoid running over him.

The lorry driver became the Good Samaritan who rushed him to hospital where he was admitted.

Juliet said her husband of one year had never been violent during their marriage prior to the attack.

Mr Mwanda, who is in protective police custody in the male ward, survived his suicide bid with abrasions on his face due to a fall on the tarmac road, minor throat injuries and a serious case of diarrhoea occasioned by swallowing the pesticide.

“The female patient is doing well despite the deep cuts we admitted her with. She will soon begin to walk with the assistance of our physiotherapists. We expect her to make a full recovery within three to four weeks,” said the hospital Chief Executive Officer Dr Enoch Ondari.


He said that Mr Mwanda’s injuries were less severe, adding that he would be probably be discharged in a week’s time.

Juliet’s husband says he still loves her “100 per cent” and is willing to discuss terms of reconciliation with her family.

“Only God knows what happened between us. All I can say is that I love her with all my heart despite this unfortunate incident. I will not say anything else,” Mr Mwanda, who is chained to his hospital bed, said.