Nairobi News


Postmortem on body of boda boda rider shot dead at Mama Lucy set for today

By Amina Wako February 25th, 2020 2 min read

A postmortem on the body of the boda boda rider who was shot by an Administration Police officer at the Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital will be conducted on Tuesday (toady).

The autopsy will reveal what caused the death of the 24-year-old Daniel Mburu Wangari, it will also establish how he was shot.


Last Thursday the detectives investigating the incident asked the court to detain constable Zaddock Oyieka for 14 days to allow more time to record statements from witnesses.

However, Magistrate Eston Nyaga, directed the officer to be detained for 6 days.

The suspect was arraigned at the Makadara Law Courts on Thursday and will remain in custody until February 28, 2020.

On Monday, the officers reviewed the CCTV footage at the scene of the crime and are expected to present their evidence in court once the investigations are over.

Witnesses at the scene of last week’s incident claim that Mburu was fatally shot following an argument over an unofficial Sh50 parking fee with security guards at the hospital.

Mburu had volunteered to rush a two-and-a-half-year-old boy retrieved from a river in Korogocho slums the hospital.


Witnesses said security guards let in Mburu and he parked at the hospital’s casualty entry as he rushed the child into the emergency centre.

When he returned he found his boda boda had been impounded by the security guard who demanded a Sh50 bribe to release the bike.

A scuffle ensued and Mburu was overpowered by the guards who then called a reinforcement from AP officers.

AP officers arrived as the guards were taking him into their sentry post at the gate. One of the officers allegedly cocked his gun and shot him in the chest.

The incident prompted area residents, who including boda boda operators, to stage demonstrations in front of the facility for close to four hours until the body was moved to City Mortuary.

The officer who fired the fatal shot was immediately disarmed by colleagues and taken to Kayole Police Station where he recorded a statement before he was released.

He was later rearrested after a preliminary ballistic report showed that the killer bullet was from his firearm.