Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Veteran KBC broadcaster MDJ Eddy Fondo takes final bow

Veteran KBC broadcaster Eddy Fondo is dead.

Fondo, 65, died at the gates of Kilifi county hospital on Tuesday where he had been rushed for medical care after his condition worsened while at Mariakani sub-county hospital.

He had earlier suffered stomach complications at his Kaloleni home.

A family member, Nelson Gona, said the deceased was admitted at Mariakani hospital on Monday night and was diagnosed with perforated gut.

“At first, Eddy complained of stomach problems which doctors diagnosed as perforated gut. He was admitted at Mariakani hospital, but the condition worsened, prompting the medics to refer him to Kilifi county hospital for further medication. It is sad that he has succumbed to the illness before getting any treatment,” said Mr Gona.

Fondo was an icon in the 1980 and 90 with his ‘Chaguo Lako’ programme at the then Voice of Kenya (VOK).

His antics at the studio and his love for the job touched and inspired many young Kenyans, some of them who later ventured into the industry.


Mr Kazungu Katana, who worked with Fondo at KBC before joining the American Embassy, eulogized him as a suave person, who curved a niche for himself during his time.

“I have a fond memory of the broadcaster who was a very reserved person, who kept to himself most of the time. He was loved by many musicians and promoted local bands. He is the broadcaster who made (defunct Kenyan band) Simba Wanyika very popular. He used to play the song ‘Pamela’ very much and in fact Simba Wanyika made a song for him. He used to call himself MDJ (Music DJ) Fondo,” recalled Katana.

Mr Katana said most of the time, the late Fondo used to be his guest on his VOK club programmes in the 80s.

“He touched many. He was an expert in radio continuity and he used to host me while they were together with Khadija Ali whom we used to call Dada Mrembo then. He nurtured many people during his time at VOK/KBC,” added Katana.

The late Fondo was also famous with reading ‘Salaam za adhuhuri’ and his programs were a darling of many KBC lovers.

He retired from KBC in the late 2000s and immediately went to his rural home in Kaloleni, Giriama. He is survived by a widow, a daughter, a son and three grand-daughters.

His body was transferred to the Kilifi hospital mortuary. The burial date will be announced later by the family.