Mama mboga charged for stabbing man who broke into her house
A 27-year-old woman was charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing a man who broke into her house in Kaloleni Estate, Nairobi, at around 2 am.
Faith Nyanchama Mangera is accused of unlawfully attempting to kill Filbert Nzoyisaba on December 2 in contravention of section 220 (a) of the Penal Code after allegedly stabbing him twice.
The state prosecution office accuses Ms Mangera of stabbing Nzoyisaba two times – on the head and abdomen during a scuffle inside her house, where the victim had forcibly gained entry.
The suspect, who is a mama mboga in the area, threw away the knife and rushed to the Makongeni police station in the company of her child and reported to officers on night duty that the victim was lying outside her house.
She told the cops that the complainant was a total stranger to her.
The officers proceeded to the scene and found that members of the public had rushed the complainant to a nearby hospital and made a search for the knife used in the stabbing but could not recover it.
She was detained.
The widowed mother of two told police during investigations that she was asleep with her children when she heard a bang at the gate, and before she could find out, Nyoyisamba was already inside her house.
The suspect armed herself with a knife without taking chances and asked him to identify himself and state what he wanted, but he kept getting closer.
She stabbed him twice, which forced him to start fleeing the house, but he fell at the doorstep, bleeding profusely.
She raised the alarm and neighbours turned up at the scene before she proceeded to the police station where she made the report.
Nzoyisaba’s brother arrived at the scene after he was informed of the incident and found that he had been rushed to a hospital.
He moved him to Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital (MLKH) in Embakasi, where he is still admitted.
Ms Mangera denied the charges before Principal Magistrate Irene Gichobi of the Makadara Law Courts.
She was released on a bond of Sh300,000 with a surety of a similar amount.
The case will be mentioned on January 9, 2024, for a pre-trial.
Police informed the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions that they are yet to record the statement of the complainant because he could not talk when they visited him at the hospital.
Pictures of the victim showing his injuries while lying at the first hospital, where he was taken for treatment before he was transferred to MLKH, have been listed as exhibits in the case.