Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Man arrested for allegedly raping his 98 years old grandmother

A 36-year-old man has been arrested in Mathioya, Murang’a for allegedly raping his 98-year-old grandmother and defiling a two-year-old girl in the same village.

The suspect is said to have defiled the girl a few minutes after raping his grandmother and escaping in Gacharage-ini village of Kiru Ward.

The man was caught in the act by his 19-year-old cousin, who heard the granny shouting for help as he went home.

Samuel reportedly broke into his grandmother’s house at around 7pm, where she was alone sleeping and committed the heinous act.

The man, a father of one, was arrested and jailed in 2013 and released in 2015 after he was found having sex with a cow less than 500m from his grandmother’s home.

The cousin said he was passing by her grandmother’s house when he heard the commotion and the voices of a screaming woman.


He called her but she did not answer and when he tried to open her door, he found that it was locked from inside.

He struggled with the door and managed to open it and reportedly saw the assailant naked. The suspect then hit him on the face and managed to run away before he could regain his senses.

When he came back to his senses, he went to check on his grandmother, he found her naked in her bed traumatized and shaken.

“I alerted the other family members and neighbours and we launched a manhunt. As we searched for him, we heard that he had defiled the girl after he escaped,” the man said.

The mother of the two-year-old girl said she had left her young daughter in the care of her 11-year-old sister as she went to deliver tea at their collection center.

“I left the two eating, when I came back I heard that the suspect was here and broke my door and tried to defile the eldest, she managed to escape leaving the young girl behind,” said the mother.


Speaking at Kangema hospital where she had taken her daughter for treatment, she said her 11-year-old ran to her grandmother’s home and reported what had transpired and when they came back they did not find the assailant or the young girl.

They started screaming as they looked for the two but little did they know that the suspect had picked the baby girl and ran away with her to the shamba where he defiled her.

“We found her at the arrow roots plantation all alone and she was bleeding heavily but was not crying. We took her to Nyakianga police station and recorded a statement and later took her to Kangema hospital,” said the distraught parent.

Charles Macharia, a resident said they were perturbed by the heinous act. The residents urged the government to take severe action against the suspect to discourage such habits.

He accused the police of laxity urging them to pull up their socks lest they resort to mob justice saying criminal were arrested and released only to come back and terrorize them more.

“We do not want the suspect with such character among us and if he is released let him look for another place to live,” he said

The suspect is being held at Nyakianga police station and will be taken to court on Thursday.