Waitutu faces trial for incitement
Former Embakasi MP Ferdinand Waititu is headed for trial for incitement of violence, in spite of his efforts to broker an out of court settlement.
Nairobi Senior Principal Magistrate Ms Lucy Mbugua on Wednesday directed that the case be heard on December 17.
The prosecution had not opposed Mr Waititu efforts for an out of court settlement during previous mentions.
On Wednesday, there was no mention by the parties of any possibility of the case being withdrawn.
Prosecutor Moses Omirera did however acknowledge receiving a letter from National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC), but he did not elaborate.
Mr Waititu allegedly uttered words that were calculated to bring violence to members of the Maasai community living and working in Kayole.
The former MP also, while addressing members of the public, allegedly uttered words that were calculated to stir ethnic hatred.
The offences are said to have been committed on September 24 last year in Kayole.
Mr Waititu, at a past news conference at the court precinct’s, said he had apologized to the Maasai community.
Almost two weeks ago, a warrant of arrest had been issued against the former MP but it was lifted after he presented himself to court.