Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Cancer patient murdered at KNH had ‘feared for his life’

The cancer patient who was killed at the Kenyatta National Hospital on Sunday morning had told a relative he feared for his life and was transferred to another ward.

Details have also emerged that the deceased, Mr Cosmas Mutunga, 42, had land related issues at his rural home.

Police have widened the scope of their investigations to include questioning close family members.

Mr Mutunga was initially admitted to Ward 8D before he was transferred to 8C where he was found dead.

KNH Chief Executive Officer Lily Koros on Monday said the matter is under investigation, adding that the hospital would cooperate with the detectives.


“The patient who up to the time of his unfortunate demise was under our care, died under unclear circumstances,” she said.

Although Kilimani police boss Peter Kattam said on Sunday detectives were reviewing the CCTV footage, the hospital chief said that there were no cameras on that floor.

“For patients’ confidentiality and privacy, we do not install cameras in the wards. The only available camera was on the ground floor,” she said.

All the three nurses who were on duty on the night of the killing have been grilled.

The Assistant Director in charge of Special Surgical Services, Dr Joel Lessan, on Monday said he was called by the nurses and he certified that the patient was dead.

Ms Koros and Dr Lessan contradicted each other when the latter said the body was moved from the scene of crime “for the sake of other patients”.


“He had severe facial injuries and we moved the body from the ward for the sake of other patients. We, however, do not know whether the attacker came from outside or within the wards,” said Dr Lessan.

“The last observation on record was at 4am. At 5.30am the nurses went to prepare the patient for the morning medication and found him with facial injuries,” said Ms Koros.

The management said it informed the authorities and the police took over the case.

“We wish to reiterate that this is an isolated incident. We shall facilitate timely investigations. We wish to assure patients and the public that the hospital is safe and there is no cause for panic,” she said.