Nairobi News


Construction worker dies after being electrocuted by flood light

A construction worker was over the weekend electrocuted at a site he works in located in Eastleigh Area, Nairobi County.

Kyalo Nzangi on Saturday, March 23, 2024, died while he was trying to disconnect a flood light that was located on the ground floor of the building.

The flood light is usually used by the workers when they are going on with their work, especially at night.

“He had not worn any gloves while he was removing the floodlight hence leading to the electrocution,” a police report seen by Nairobi News read in part.

His fellow construction workers then rushed him to Mother and Care Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Doctors said that he had sustained serious burns which led to his death.

Also read: VIDEO: Inside the shattered house in Eastleigh where a gas cylinder exploded

The body of the man was then taken to the Mama Lucy Hospital Morgue and a postmortem is expected to take place today.

Currently, police are investigating the matter.

The incident took place just a day after a pedestrian died after he was hit by a stone that fell from a construction site.

Abdikaff Mohamed, 19, was walking along the Second Avenue street within Eastleigh when the incident took place.

He was rushed to Care Hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.  After his death, the body was moved to a local mosque pending an autopsy.

Nairobi News understands that an autopsy was also conducted by the county government and the National Construction Authority (NCA).

After the incident, police visited the site and ordered construction to be halted.

The incident caused an uproar within Eastleigh with locals saying that constructors should be careful whenever they are at work.

This incident adds to a series of similar accidents at construction sites in the city.