KRU revokes Ayimba’s appointment as 7’s head coach
In a new turn of events, Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) board has revoked the appointment of Benjamin Ayimba as Kenya Sevens head coach due to a “flawed selection process”.
However, Ayimba, who took charge of the team last week, will still handle the squad in Safari Sevens upon which his position will be re-advertised.
KRU’s acting secretary-general, Dennis Ombui, disclosed that the urgent board meeting convened Wednesday morning was to review how the Kenya Sevens technical bench was appointed and rectify the flaws that occurred.
Ombui said none of those who were interviewed for the head coach’s job presented certificates to back up what was in their CVs.
“There was massive conflict of interest. Some of those picked for positions in the technical bench committee were fronted by board members who were part of the panel that interviewed the coaches,” Ombui said on Wednesday.
“There were questions on what basis the individuals were picked and if clarity was made on what was presented in their CVs, throwing the process into question.”
Ayimba was reappointed on September 10 at a board meeting where three directors reportedly stormed out, with one opting not to be part of the process.
Ayimba, who was fired in July 2011, made a return four years later to replace Felix “Totti” Ochieng, who had just taken over from South African Paul Treu in December.
“Since Ayimba is already handling the team, the board decided that he stay for the Safari Sevens before another process to appoint a new coach starts,” said Ombui.
The board was split on Wednesday on whether to retain deputy coach Vuyo Zangqua and strength and conditioning coach Graham Bentz.
But KRU chairman Richard Omwela broke the tie to have the two South African coaches leave.
There was a tie when Omwela and directors Ian Mugambi, Moses Ndale and Oscar Mango voted to have the two South African coaches go while Ombui, vice chairman Philip Jalang’o, Paula Lanco and Pape Sembi opposed.
The opposing directors were for the opinion that Vuyo and Bentz be allowed to see through their contracts in September next year to avoid a Sh13m contract pay-off.