RIP! Fourth Ugandan health worker succumbs to Ebola
The effects of the deadly Ebola virus are still being felt in Uganda, and the doctors who are at the forefront of the battle are not spared.
In the wee hours of Wednesday 5, Health Minister Dr Jane Ruth Aceng Ocero announced the passing on of another doctor, bringing the total number of doctors who have succumbed to the disease to four.
Dr Ocero announced that the 58-year-old succumbed to Ebola at Fort Portal Hospital (JMedic) after battling the disease for 17 days.
“I regret to announce the passing of another Health worker, Ms Nabisubi Margaret, an anaesthetic officer.
The 58-year-old succumbed to Ebola at 4.33 am this morning at Fort Portal Hospital (JMedic) after battling the disease for 17 days,” Dr Ocero said.
This comes after the death of the midwife Dr Ali, and the health assistant in Kagadi District, coming barely a month after the Ugandan authority confirmed the outbreak of the disease.
The case of the first doctor to succumb to the virus was reported on October 1, who was a midwife from St. Florence Clinic.
According to the Minister, Dr Ali, who was a Tanzanian national tested positive for Ebola on September 26, and died while receiving treatment at Fort Portal RRH, an isolation facility.
So far, the virus has claimed more than 20 lives and has caused panic in neighbouring countries including Kenya.
The virus is spread by contact with bats and monkeys as well as contact with a person infected by the virus.
The virus spreads quickly from person to person and claims the life of a person in a short time. However, the virus can be prevented.
Health experts have said that with early medical treatment, the death rate of Ebola can be significantly reduced.
Kenya has heightened surveillance on its borders with Uganda and Tanzania, and the people crossing the borders have to be screened for the virus.
Also, Kenyans have been asked to be on high alert and report any suspected case of the virus.