Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

How police busted carjacking gang in Donholm

Police arrested two robbery suspects in Donholm on Saturday night and recovered 7.4 tonnes of powdered milk valued at Sh5 million.

Police, however, did not immediately disclose where the milk, manufactured by Pearl Dairy Farms Ltd based in Uganda, was coming from.

The driver, Mr Abdi Hussein, in his statement to the police said that he was driving from Embakasi to Eastleigh but on reaching the Donholm bridge along Outer Ring road, he was confronted by about five men who were posing as police officers.

“They were armed with pistols and even had what looked like police radios,” he said.


Buruburu OCPD Richard Kerich on Monday said that the gunmen then bundled the driver in the boot of another car which had three occupants.

They drove with Mr Hussein towards Athi River but later abandoned him in Kitengela.

He came back to Donholm at around 9.15 p.m, and while reporting the incident at the Savanna police post, he spotted the car and he alerted the police.

Police gave chase and caught up with the occupants at Mwea Plaza, within Greenfields estate. One of them was shot and injured while two others escaped on foot.

While escaping from the scene, the car was involved in an accident where another occupant who attempted to escape was arrested.

Their damaged car was later towed to Buruburu police station.


The suspect who was arrested led the officers to house number C43 where the 294 bags of powdered milk were recovered. The exhibits were also taken to the police station.

Mr Kerich said that the lorry was on Sunday evening found dumped in Langata.

Detectives suspect the gang has been behind the carjackings along Jogoo especially in the morning.

The Double M bus company has borne the brunt of such armed attacks in the recent past.

On Thursday morning, seven armed men posing as passengers robbed passengers of cash and valuables of unknown value. The gunmen started attacking the passengers at the Donholm roundabout up to Makongeni where they alighted and escaped.

Police records indicate that the bus company has been targeted at least five times in the last two weeks.