Nairobi News

GeneralHashtagHustleLifeMust ReadNewsWhat's Hot

Two Israeli tourists tortured in Kilifi, finger chopped off by gang

By Nyaboga Kiage September 4th, 2023 2 min read

Authorities in Kilifi County have initiated a manhunt for a dangerous gang responsible for a gruesome attack on two Israeli tourists, leaving one with a severed finger.

The incident occurred on Saturday, September 2, 2023, when the victims were assaulted by a gang armed with machetes and knives.

The assailants inflicted physical harm and made off with the tourists’ valuables and cash.

“The two, who are tourists in the country, were taken by ambulance to a local hospital for treatment. Doctors were trying to reattach the severed finger,” reported The Times of Israel.

Nairobi News has established that the duo then went ahead and reported the matter to the Israel Embassy in Kenya.

The embassy swiftly issued a statement regarding the incident and provided assistance to the affected tourists’ family members, ensuring their quick arrival in Kenya to assess the situation and offer support.

In another ongoing case, the family of a Brazilian national, Mr Antonio Changes Barbosa, is still seeking justice following his alleged murder in Mwihoko, Ruiru Sub-County, Kiambu, in July 2023.

Also read: ‘I’m sorry,’ British tourist to Kenyan murder convict freed after 11 years

Barbosa’s body was reportedly found inside a vehicle with registration number KBY 305D, burnt near Mwihoko Police Station.

“Officers are trying to find out whether she was killed elsewhere before her body was burnt in Mwihoko,” said the officer, who spoke in confidence as he is not authorised to address the media.

The DCI is actively pursuing leads to determine the exact circumstances surrounding his death.

Eyewitnesses claimed that the gang responsible for the attack set the vehicle ablaze before fleeing through the Eastern Bypass.

Members of the public who witnessed the fire immediately reported the incident to the authorities and attempted to extinguish the flames.

Responding to the distress call, officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations and the Githurai Sub-County Commander rushed to the scene. They towed the burnt vehicle to Mwihoko Police Station and transported Barbosa’s remains to the City Mortuary.

“The fire was managed by a fire brigade from Ruiru. A human body burnt beyond recognition at the rear right side of the boot with a folded passenger seat. Crime scene investigators attached to Thika Sub-County processed and documented the scene,” the police report read in part.

Also read: Belgian tourist admits to beating up Kenyan friend