UN agency now concerned over Eastleigh swoops
The United Nation’s refugee agency has expressed concern at the mass arrests of Somali refugees in Eastleigh.
The UN Refugee Agency UNHCR says it will seek for the release of refugees and asylum-seekers who were among the 4, 000 people arrested in the swoops.
The agency said it had sought access to the detained refugees and asylum seekers held at Kasarani with a view of conducting proper identification.
In a statement, the refugee agency also appealed to Kenyan police force to respect the rights of all those arrested and to treat them in a humane manner.
“UNHCR understands the security concerns of the Government of Kenya and the steps taken to protect the people who live in the country,” the statement said.
Kenyan security forces have been conducting swoops in Eastleigh to flush out illegal immigrants. This was in response to twin terror attacks in the area that left six people dead and dozens injured.
The operation has involved door-to-door searches to comb out those without proper identification documents.
Inspector General of Police, David Kimaiyo on Monday said 200 of those arrested had been arraigned in court and charged with possession of forged identification documents.
He said the cartel behind the massive forgery was being trailed and that no refugee will be repatriated before the screening.