Nairobi News

GeneralHustleLifeMust ReadNewsWhat's Hot

Why Tecra Muigai’s ex-boyfriend Omari Lali did not have his day in court

The inquest into the untimely death of Keroche Breweries heiress Tecra Muigai encountered a setback on Wednesday, February 28, following the unexpected transfer of the trial magistrate, Ms Zainab Abdul.

The proceedings, scheduled to delve into the circumstances surrounding Muigai’s demise three years ago, were brought to a standstill as senior principal magistrate Ms Abdul, designated to receive further testimony from witnesses, was transferred to Kibra Law Courts.

Omari Lali, the former boyfriend of the deceased, appeared at the Milimani law courts anticipating the trial.

However, the inquest could not proceed due to the magistrate’s transfer.

Lali was informed of the delay and advised that the matter would be mentioned on March 11, 2024, for further directions, given the magistrate’s relocation.

Also read: Tecra Muigai death: Inside crime scene where Keroche heiress lost her life

Tecra passed away on May 2, 2021, under ambiguous circumstances while in the company of her boyfriend, Lali.

The initial murder charge against Lali was dropped by former Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji, who subsequently ordered an inquest to ascertain the cause of Muigai’s death.

The inquest has seen testimony from key witnesses, including Chief Government Pathologist Johansen Oduor, who indicated that Muigai’s demise might have resulted from a combination of blunt force trauma and a fall.

Oduor said Tecra’s body had a major injury on the head with a minor bruise on the left upper arm and on the knees.

He further told the court that during the postmortem of the deceased, he saw two fractures on the back of her head.

“This indicates that injuries were unlikely to have been caused by a single impact. In my opinion, this observation indicates both blunt object injury and a possible fall,” says pathologist Oduor.

Ms Abdul heard that the liver was fatty and moldy, while the scalp had a greyish hemorrhage.

Also read: ‘I don’t like to be controlled’ – Omar Lali’s demand to Tecra Muigai

According to the postmortem report tabled in court by Oduor, Tecra died from trauma to the skull.

“My opinion is that Tecra died because of severe brain injuries which were caused by blunt post-trauma as a result of complications arising from craniocerebral injuries,” he said.

Oduor revealed significant injuries to Muigai’s head and other parts of her body, suggesting a complex sequence of events leading to her death.

Ms Abdul, the trial magistrate, had presided over the proceedings until her transfer.

Ms Abdul was transferred in an exercise that also saw Senior Principal Magistrate Ms Esther Kimilu move to Loitoktok Law Courts in Kajiado County.

Ms Kimilu shot to fame after jailing child traffickers and baby thieves at Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital.
Ms Abdul will return to Milimani law courts to conclude part-heard matters at appointed periods.

Representing the deceased’s family in the inquest are Senior Counsel James Orengo, who also serves as Siaya Governor and Prof. Elisha Ongoya.