Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Son of British aristocrat on Sh598m cocaine charge in Nairobi

A Briton and a Kenyan were on Thursday charged in a Nairobi court with trafficking in narcotics valued at Sh598 million that were impounded at Kilindini Port, Mombasa, last week.

Mr Jack Alexander Wolf Marrian — the grandson of a colonial Cabinet minister — and Mr Roy Francis Mwanthi allegedly trafficked 99,721.8 grammes of cocaine concealed in a container in Mombasa, on July 29.

According to British newspapers, Mr Marrian, 31, is the son of Lady Campbell of Cawdor. His maternal family own Cawdor Castle in Scotland.

While applying for the Briton to be released on bond, his lawyer denied that he is a director of the company that is linked to the illicit cargo.

Mr Andrew Wandabwa said Mr Marrian was just an employee of the English-registered firm.

“He was arrested on July 29 and released on free bond,” said Mr Wandabwa.


“He is the fourth generation of Britons who once lived in Kenya. His great-grandfather was a minister during the colonial era.

“He is also finalising the process of acquiring Kenyan citizenship and, as such, he is not a flight risk.”

However, the prosecution opposed the application for bond, telling Kibera Senior Resident Magistrate Derrick Kuto that Mr Marrian would interfere with investigations that are expected to stretch across borders.


“We oppose the application,” Ms Angela Okallo, the prosecutor, said.  “The accused is a foreigner.”

The drugs were allegedly concealed as sugar from Brazil en route to Kampala.

The defence, however, told the court that the accused was not aware of the consignment.

“Twenty-two containers were to arrive on August 6, but four of them arrived on July 29, unknown to the accused,” said Mr Wandabwa.


Mr Marrian denied the charge and will be detained at the Kileleshwa Police Station until Monday, when a ruling on his application for bail will be delivered.

Mr Mwanthi, who was charged moments after the Briton, also denied the charges.

The prosecution denied his lawyer’s claim that he was held for more than 24 hours without charge upon his arrest on Friday.

He will be detained at Gigiri Police Station until Monday for his bail hearing plea.