Victor Wanyama makes U-turn, rejoins Harambee Stars
Kenyan midfielder Victor Wanyama, who is currently without a club, has returned from international retirement and will now be available for selection for Harambee Stars.
Wanyama made has made the decision to return to Harambee Stars squad after meeting Sports Cabinet Secretary Ababu Namwamba.
The midfielder, contract with the Canadian professional soccer club CF Montreal ends this month, had a one-on-one consultation with the Sports CS on Thursday.
The CS posted on his official Twitter account that following the consultation, the midfielder decided to make a U-turn.
“Am delighted Victor Wanyama has agreed to return fully to Harambee Stars, rescinding his earlier decision to exit the team. In our mission to rebuild our football and elevate our national teams, our elite players must be at the heart of this renaissance,” Mr Namwamba said.
The CS added that the combination of Wanyama with Kenyan striker Michael Olunga will propel the team to great heights even as the new administration of President William Ruto promises to do what it takes to ensure the team succceeds.
In September last year, the midfielder announced his retirement from the national team following the decision by the former coach Ghost Mulee to sideline him from the squad.
“From making my debut against Nigeria to captaining the team at the African Cup of Nations finals in Egypt, these past 14 years have gone beyond what I ever thought possible. We have shared great moments, and I am proud to have been your captain and leader. But all good things must come to an end, and after long consideration, I have made the really difficult consideration to retire from international football,” Wanyama said in his resignation letter.
The former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder recently visited his old club’s stadium with his wife actress Serah Ndanu.
Wanyama’s decision comes barely two weeks after the world football governing body Fifa lift a ban that had been imposed on Kenya after the government disbanded Football Kenya Federation.
The ban had prevented the Kenyan national team from engaging in any international matches. The lifting of the ban also came days after Mr Namwamba met Fifa President Gianni Infantino in Qatar.