NTSA bans two more matatu saccos despite strike threat
The National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) has suspended the operations of two more public service vehicle companies.
The licenses of North Rift and Umeria have been withdrawn indefinitely. The two join Embasavva Sacco whose licence was revoked last week.
NTSA has ordered the affected vehicles to be inspected afresh and be installed with speed governors.
The fleets have also been told to employ their drivers and conductors as permanent and pensionable employees with membership at National Social Security Funds (NSSF) and National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF).
An Embassava sacco manager told Nairobi News that they are losing close to Sh3 million each day.
“The Government is just seeking ways to get money from the matatu industry. We are always the first target. I wish this would have been done in a structured way because we are all now jobless,” a tout at the Odeon bus stop in Nairobi told Nairobi News.
Matatu operators plan to hold countrywide demonstrations on Wednesday against NTSA for slapping the ban on Embassava sacco.