Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Rigathi Gachagua kicks off campaigns ahead of 2027 polls

By Mercy Simiyu October 10th, 2023 2 min read

Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua appears to have switched to campaign mode, despite having four years until the next presidential elections in 2027.

In his recent public statements, the DP explained he is out to ‘unite’ the Mount Kenya region, where he hails from, to ensure they hand President William Ruto more votes than in 2022.

During a visit to Nandi County on October 9, 2023, the DP set himself a target of ensuring Mount Kenya hands President William 100% of all votes cast come 2027.

“I have called on Mount Kenya people to unite and rally together so that we push a common agenda,” declared Gachagua.

“I have said to the people of Mount Kenya, I gave the President 87 percent (of the region’s vote), and I aim to do better. I have to do better. I gave him 87 percent, and I am looking for that remaining 13 percent to give him 100 percent in 2027.”

The outspoken DP further alluded to the presence of some Mount Kenya leaders within the Azimio La Umoja camp, including former lawmaker Jeremiah Kioni, suggesting their allegiance was rooted in intimidation from the previous administration.

He revealed efforts to engage these leaders with the aim of bringing them back into the fold.

The statements are likely to elicit mixed reactions from Kenyans over whether it is the right time to initiate campaign talk or concentrate on service delivery.

The President and DP who campaigned on a platform of creating jobs for Kenyans and fighting corruption, have been on the spot in recent times over the high cost of living and especially with the increase in the prices of electricity and petrol.

Meanwhile, Gachagua’s renewed focus on the 2027 presidential elections comes amid speculation of a possible fallout with President Ruto.

The DP is known for his controversial comments including ‘only communities that voted for President Ruto should be rewarded with Cabinet appointments’

The Head of State has recently appeared to rubbish that stance, however.

Also read: Jamhuri Bulls FC smash One Africa Logistics in a 11-goal Left-Foot thriller

Bad omen: Nadia Mukami recounts accident that sent set designer to ICU