Kenyan celebs who have entrusted family members to manage their careers
As the entertainment industry continues to undergo rapid transformations, artistes are increasingly realizing the significance of having a reliable support system to guide their careers.
Many Kenyan musicians have turned to their closest family members to assume the role of manager, safeguarding their interests and propelling their success.
Take the example of Gengetone sensation Sylvia Ssaru, who recently revealed that she had decided to involve her family in her management team. Following her departure from her previous management team, which presented its own challenges, Ssaru now says she has found solace in having her brother take on the role of her manager.
Here are other celebrities managed by their family members:
1. Abel Mutua and Judy Nyawira – Judy Nyawira manages her husband Abel Mutua, as well as his best friend Njugush. According to Njugush, when Abel began creating his own content in 2022, they recognized the need for Judy’s support to stabilize their efforts.
“Judy took on the heavy workload on our side, and we had to bring someone else on board to assist her since she couldn’t do it all,” Njugush explained.
Although Judy was initially shy, Njugush revealed that she has since become incredibly successful and now receives more gigs than her husband Abel. Despite the changes, the couple continues to work as a united team, sharing ideas and supporting each other’s growth and prosperity.
2. Mercy Masika and David Muguro – Award-winning gospel musician Mercy Masika is another fortunate celebrity who is managed by her spouse. In a previous interview with Radio Jambo, the Nikupendeze hitmaker said she would not have achieved greatness if she were managed by someone else.
“I owe my success to my husband’s hard work because he takes care of numerous tasks that would be overwhelming for me to handle alone,” Masika said.
3. Evelyn Wanjiru and Agunda Bweni – The celebrated gospel artiste has been managed by her husband Agunda Bweni throughout their enduring partnership. Agunda understands the ever-changing nature of the music industry and endeavors to stay ahead of the game.
“To succeed, you need to ensure you are always at the top of your game,” Agunda said.
Working with his wife has been a seamless experience for Agunda, and they have witnessed positive results since embarking on their musical journey together. However, he humorously noted that he cannot present Evelyn with a manager’s rate card.
Evelyn’s popularity extends beyond Kenya, adding further motivation for Agunda to continuously push her brand forward. Regarding their ability to stay clear of online drama, Agunda explained that Evelyn’s music resonates with genuine followers who prioritize clean and inspiring content.
Being a role model to many, Evelyn leads by example and strives to maintain a positive image. The couple operates Bwenieve Productions.
4. Terence Creative and Milly Chebby – Comedian Lawrence Macharia, known as Terence Creative, and his wife Milly first met while working at Churchill Show in 2013. Terence served as a creative director, while Milly worked as a floor manager.
Their shared professional backgrounds fostered a strong connection, leading to a deeper bond as a couple.
5. Bien and Chiki Kuruka – Bien-Aimé Baraza has in the past revealed why his wife Chiki took the role of his manager. In the journey of creating his project Alone Together, Bien said he recognized Chiki’s exceptional management skills, noting that she has the ability to handle various responsibilities.
“So she started managing me and it totally flipped everything, and it made me love her even more. I realised before, we were not a team in how we were building for our future. But now if I’m going to a gig, and if she’s speaking to anybody on behalf of Bien, she knows we are building our home, we are building our future together, and that gave so much meaning to my relationship with my wife,” Bien said.